Burping or belching is a natural function of the body and occurs because of the built up of air inside the stomach which has been swallowed. That is why it is advisable to reduce the amount of air swallowed to reduce burping. Burping however helps the body to take out excess gas and air from the intestinal tract. Constant burping however might not be completely normal and indicates problems with the digestive system that should be looked after. Sometimes it can also be caused by aerophagia. This problem can best be determined by assessing one’s health and eating habits and lifestyle.
- Malfunctioning of the digestive system: A proper and healthy digestion is essential for reduction in belching. Foods that are fatty and oily can cause not only burping but other problems related to it such as gastritis, ulcers, hernia or acid reflux, the gas formed by these is released from the mouth providing the body, a temporary relief.
- The esophageal sphincter between the oesophagus and the top of the stomach is the Valve that is designed to keep the food and wind in the stomach gets weakened by certain foods like fried and baked foods, chocolates, aerated drinks, cheese, meat, caffeine. Burping can be reduced by avoiding these foods. Too cold beer, soft drinks, cocktails and aerated or sparkling drinks should also be avoided as the temperature when low and gets combined with bubbles affects the diaphragm causing burping.
- Some people who take calcium supplements often burp constantly as it contains calcium carbonate that releases carbon dioxide in the stomach. To avoid this problem, one can substitute it with calcium citrate.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome also affects the large intestine and causes diarrhea, burping, bloating as well as constipation.
- Gastroparesis is also another cause of constant burping where the food stays in the stomach for a longer time than normal. It happens when the stomach muscles are not strong enough to digest the food.
Swallowing lesser air
Eating faster also makes one swallow more air that’s why one must slow down while eating and it will also reduce hiccups. It is always better to chew properly and enjoy the food slowly. This makes one eat lesser and it is more filling as well. People who have to wear dentures also tend to chew food abnormally that makes them swallow more air. Dentures should be adjusted properly each year to avoid these problems. Usually the dentists also do not pay attention to such things.
Sometimes suffering from cold and allergy also leads to swallowing more air which causes belching. Usually over the counter anti allergic can be taken to cure both the problems. However one must not over do it.
A runny nose caused by a cold or allergy can make you swallow excessive air. So an over-the-counter nasal decongestant can sometimes reduce belching as well as relieving the nasal symptoms, but should never be taken long term.
- Seeds such as fennel, Caraway, anise or celery seeds have been used since a long time for improving the digestion as they have a very soothing effect on the body and prevents problems of gas and burping.
- Green teas such as lemon, earl grey, chamomile, jasmine tea are excellent for such problems. They also help in controlling the appetite.
- Consumption of lemon should also be increased in the form of lemonade, lemon soda, adding it on salads or mixing it with honey and lukewarm water.
- Ginger is one of the best home remedies to treat digestion problems and is the most versatile like lemon. It can be had in the form of a marinade, dressing, raw, salted. It prevents the body from production of excessive gas. Ginger tea is the best thing to have in the morning.
- Changing eating habits is undoubtedly the most important step as bad eating habits are the reason behind bad digestion. One should eat slowly and eat less but frequently. Fatty foods should be avoided completely and meals that are heavier should be followed by a walk to avoid burping constantly. Beans, lentils, sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cheese, radish are certain foods that can be avoided as they cause gas and belching. Consumption of too much whole grains is also a cause of indigestion.
- Digestive Enzymes help with the digestion process and reduces gas, bloating and belching. Probiotic supplements that reduce the unwanted bacteria in the body can also be taken. The Digestive enzymes like protease, amylase, cellulose, lactase, sucrose are excellent sources.