Stomach ache can be described as a stabbing, sharp and strong pain or discomfort that occurs in the abdominal area between the groin and the chest.
Some of the common causes, associated symptoms, and treatment options for stomach ache are discussed below.
Causes of stomach ache
Stomach age affects all people. Some of the common causes and associated symptoms are listed below:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD is a condition marked by backward flow of stomach acids and other matter into the esophagus. Patients experience burning sensations in throat and chest, abdominal pain, and sour taste in mouth, etc.,
- Indigestion and acidity is one of the most common causes of stomach ache. Patients may experience belching, bloating, nausea, gas, vomiting, and burning sensation in stomach.
- Stomach flu is caused by bacterial and viral infections and causes stomach ache and cramps, nausea, mild fever, watery diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Food intolerance, food allergies, and food poisoning also cause stomach pain, cramps, and discomfort. Food poisoning and/or intolerance symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, gas, bloating, and/or fever, while allergic reactions additionally cause hives, itchiness, and oral swelling.
- Inflammation of the appendix, i.e., appendicitis occurs due to stool and food buildup in the gland, which may trigger a bacterial infection. Appendicitis associated stomach ache usually starts in the navel area and radiates to lower right abdomen.
- Stomach ache is one of the many symptoms of gastrointestinal conditions like hemorrhoids,esophagitis,hernia,gastritis, severe constipation,diverticulitis, volvulusCrohn’s disease, peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis, tumors,and celiac disease.
- Other causes of stomach ache include urological and renal conditions; gallbladder and liver diseases; varied cancers; gynecological disorders like ovarian cysts, ectopic pregnancy, etc.; and disorders like irritable bowel syndrome, diabetic ketoacidosis,pancreatitis, spleen infection, and anxiety and stress, etc.
Treatment of stomach ache
Excessive use of painkillers damage the stomach lining and cause long-term stomach ache and discomfort. Use such medications as prescribed by the doctor to avoid stomach ache. Smoking, caffeine consumption, alcohol abuse, and spicy foods can cause digestive tract irritation and stomach ache; so limit their intake.
The below listed home remedies can help ease a stomach ache:
- Lime/Lemon drinks: Add some honey to a cup of lemon tea and drink to ease stomach ache. Ensure that the lemon juice is newly squeezed from a fresh lemon.
- Drink a normal cup of tea, without sugar and when it is hot to get relief.
- Take a glass of water, add the juice of 4 to 5 fresh lemons, add some salt, stir the solution and drink before the ingredients settle down.
- Another natural remedy that helps stomach ache is drinking a fresh lemon juice warm water solution. Drink it every morning for a healthy digestive system.
- Mix lime juice and mint juice in warm water and drink it. You may also add black salt and ginger juice in it to hasten alleviation of stomach discomfort.
- Add baking soda and lime juice in water and drink to decrease stomach pain.
- Ginger-related remedies: Drink ginger tea to soothe stomach ache caused by nausea, increased gas, and/or indigestion. Ginger tea also decreases gas and diarrhea associated stomach cramping as well as calms the digestive system. Ginger juice promotes digestive juice secretion, thereby enhancing digestion.
- Grate and then squeeze out the juice from a piece of ginger. Apply the juice on the lower abdominal area while gently massaging to alleviate a troublesome stomach ache.
- Take a ginger piece and bite and chew it. Swallow the juice only for stomach ache relief.
- Mix ginger juice, lemon juice, and white radish juice and drink it. It will help ease stomach ache but also aid digestion. Consume the juice after meals to prevent stomach pain.
- Mix ginger juice and castor oil to a glass of warm water and drink the solution to lessen stomach pain.
- Herbs: Herbs such as chamomile, angelica root, and peppermint, etc. help naturally treat stomach ache without causing any side effects.
- Boil peppermint and fennel herbs in water for about 20 to 30 minutes. Drink the tea after cooling for easing stomach pain.
- Inflammation of stomach lining can be soothed by drinking herbal tea made from slippery elm and chamomile tea. Achy stomach muscles can be treated effectively by drinking this tea 3 times a day.
- Use diluted arnica oil to massage the abdomen and relive stomach ache.
- Intake of aloe vera juice facilitates bowel movements, alleviates digestive problems, and helps eliminate solid waste, thereby detoxifying the body, improving digestive health, and helping ease stomach ache. Drinking aloe vera juice is especially beneficial for stomach ache caused due to IBS, colitis, and ulcers.
- Add rosemary oil to the bathwater and enjoy a relaxing bath that soothes stomach discomfort.
- Other remedies: Place a heat pad or a hot water bottle/bag on the stomach area to ease stomach ache. The heat from the bag improves blood circulation in the abdomen, improves digestion, and helps get rid of stomach ache. You may cover the bottle with a towel if you cannot tolerate the heat.
- Mild stomach aches can be treated with herbal teas and lukewarm water.
- Another cure for stomach ache is drinking a solution of water, sugar, and salt.
- Women suffering from menstrual cycle related stomach ache need to avoid caffeine and salt as these substance cause bloating and worsen the discomfort. Menstrual cramping can be alleviated with the intake of a diet full of vitamin B, iron, and calcium.
- Drink plain soda water to decrease acidity associated stomach ache.
- A good remedy for stomach ache is drinking a solution of water, honey, and apple cider vinegar.
- Eating pomegranate seeds can ease stomach discomfort and pain. You may sprinkle the seeds with black pepper and salt for increased effectiveness and taste.
- Soak aniseeds in water overnight and then drink it to ease stomach ache.
- Yogurt ingredients help enhance normal digestive function and eliminate minor infections. Eating plain yogurt, without added flavors or sugar, can be very helpful in reducing stomach, ache, discomfort, and pain.
- Add some coriander juice to buttermilk and drink to ease stomach ache.
- Apple, orange, pear, papaya, and grape juices help cure stomach ache.
- Boil some cloves in water and drink the sieved solution to ease flatulence and stomach pain.
- Mix asafetida in water to prepare a paste. Massage it on the abdomen to reduce gaseous distention and stomach ache.
- Gas and belching can result in a lot of discomfort. Eat a caraway seeds to cure an upset stomach and alleviate stomach ache.