The skin in the body is usually similar in most of the areas and could get affected in the same way. However there are some areas that are more sensitive or vulnerable than others such as rashes and acne that would affect specific areas like ears, chin, cheeks, face etc. But when it comes to rashes one might not be accustomed to having them behind the ears.
- Redness and itching behind the ear.
- Feeling of inflammation or burning.
- Pain while scratching or touching.
- Sensitivity while being in contact with water and products such as soaps, shampoos or creams.
- Rash behind the ears is usually different from the other parts of the body and one might experience severe spots, bumps and blisters.
- In critical cases the blisters might be filled with fluid and it could cause a lot of pain.
- The color of rash could vary from red or purple to light pink depending upon the cause.
- One could also experience small pimple like things that can grow with time if left unattended.
- The rash could also be accompanied with fever, nausea or vomiting.
Causes and treatment
- Eczema is a chronic skin disease that leads to itching, redness and inflammation constituting rashes. It is not a rare skin condition and can be experienced by a lot of people. Usually it is suggested to see a dermatologist as self treatment is not a great option. Treatment could include medicines and creams and changes in diet patterns.
- Fungal infections are another reason that could give birth to rashes behind the ears due to exposure to certain bacteria. It is important to have a good hygiene and to use antibacterial and antifungal ointments.
- Heat Rash is one of the most commonly occurring skin conditions that can increase the vulnerability of the ears to have rashes. It happens due to increased, moisture and heat in the surroundings and leads to flaky and bumpy rashes. One must keep the skin as dry as possible and dehydrated. Prickly heat powders are a quick resort in such cases.
- Dermatitis, atopic or contact dermatitis is caused due to allergy towards certain chemicals and leads to itching and redness. Home treatments such as applying an ice pack and humidifiers could be used. It is advisable to stay away from harsh soaps, clothes, perfumes or skin scrubbers. Topical and oral medicines are usually prescribed to treat tie condition. Antibiotics and therapies such as phototherapy are also successful treatments.
- Psoriasis also causes rashes and irritation behind the ears and the skin can also turn flaky and patchy and white or silver in color. Pills, topical or oral medications and injections are prescribed to reduce the symptoms.
- Bacterial meningitis is an infection needing immediate attention. The rash in such a condition could be purple or red in color and can lead to further complication if not treated on time. Treatment is more like prevention in this case. It is suggested to stay away from vaccines. For temporary relief pain reducing drugs, sedatives and antibiotics can be taken.
- Measles s a viral infection and a popular cause of rashes behind ears and on forehead with fever as well. The rashes in this case are lighter in color and appear like tiny pink spots. Apart from antibiotics, home remedies such as salt water gargle, hydration and cold compression are also useful.
- Reaction towards artificial jewellery, certain metals and even gold and silver can also cause rashes behind the ears.
- Hair problems such as having dandruff, lice and scalp infection can also cause rashes as it come more in contact with the ears and neck.
- In Chickenpox also one might develop rashes at unusual places and it can also turn into blisters and sores. Scratching it could make the condition worse. Antiviral medicines, more liquid, anti-itch lotions are all a part of the treatment. But most important is to keep the surrounding and the body clean.
- The skin type is also very much related to these problems. Usually people with dry skin are more susceptible to having rashes as the skin loses moisture causing itchiness and scaling. Keeping the skin hydrated and increasing water consumption is very important. Over the counter drugs and lotions can also be used.
- Swimming also affects all the body parts equally. Rashes are very common among the swimmers. It can include ear canal as well. Antibiotics and antifungal medicines can be used.
Moderate rashes on the skin are not an alarming sign but should not be ignored in any case. Behind the ears is mostly due to poor hygiene and skin conditions. It is therefore very important to remain clean, hygienic and avoid products containing too many chemicals. One must also try and test and then wear jewellery. Maintain overall skin health through daily moisturization and drinking a lot of water will help one stay away from such skin issues.